281 Masonic Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94118-4416        Voice (415) 422-5001        Fax (415) 422-5026        Email Link      Contacts
Home Page Who we are Where We Serve Ministries Alumnae Transcripts
Events Gift Giving Associates Contact Information Prayer Request Shopping Cart

Who is Nano Nagle Archives

History in California



New President and Council Elected in San Francisco


Presentation Sisters elected a new President and Council at their Chapter held in March.

Sister Michele Anne Murphy, PBVM will take office with her Council on July 1, 2016.   Sister Pam Chiesa, PBVM was elected Councilor and Vice President and Sister Paula Baker, PBVM and Sister Giovanna Campanella, PBVM were elected Councilors.  Their term is six years.

The Chapter also affirmed a Visionary Directional Statement to guide the work of the congregation over the next six years:

Led by the Spirit and inspired by the life and charism of Nano Nagle, we are Presentation women filled with hope, rooted in contemplative consciousness, and committed to the primacy of relationship.  We acknowledge the challenge of our reality as a smaller, older community with limited resources and commit to addressing these challenges with a sense of urgency.  We

continue our commitment to participate in the universal mission of Jesus Christ and to follow Nano’s exhortation to love one another and to spend ourselves for the poor.

In the light of this commitment we call ourselves to…

        Envision a new future through growth in communal contemplative prayer and dialogue

        Foster dynamic engagement in every stage of our lives

        Steward our limited resources wisely in the on-going care of members and for supporting our mission and legacy

        Intensify efforts to care for those made poor and to care for our Earth community

        Utilize a collaborative mode as our way of being in community and ministry and in all our structures of leadership

 


Taking office July 1, 2016 will be (from left to
right sitting) Sister Michele Anne Murphy, President,
Sister Pam Chiesa,
Vice President, (from left to right
 standing) Sister Giovanna Campanella, Councilor,
and Sister Paula Baker, Councilor.



Spring Presentation Roots
 


Summer Presentation Roots
 

Autumn Presentation Roots


       


Presentation 160th Anniversary Newsletters and Video

The Sisters of the Presentation invite you to share in their joy of marking their 160th Anniversary of their arrival in San Francisco, California. Former Presentation Archivist Chris Doan has assembled four online Presentation Roots newsletters looking back at the many ways the spirit of Nano Nagle has been made live in the Sisters’ ministries to the people of God. The Presentation Roots newsletters feature historical photos, interesting facts and insights which you may be delighted find similar to those in your Congregation’s history. You can access these newsletters here: Presentation Roots Newsletters.

160th Anniversary Video
 


 

Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco
Women of light. Women of passion and imagination working to empower the poor.
281 Masonic Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94118-4416

www.presentationsisterssf.org

Mission Statement
We, Sisters of the Presentation, (San Francisco) are a community of Catholic women
religious committed to living and transmitting the message of Jesus Christ through prayer
and service. In the tradition of our foundress, Nano Nagle, we seek to promote a society
which respects the dignity of all persons with emphasis on compassion and justice for the
poor and oppressed.


Presentation Roots


Join the Legacy of Sisters of the Presentation of San Francisco.

November 13, 1854, Five Sisters of the Presentation travel from their native Ireland to
establish a foundation in San Francisco, California.
Read more in With Hearts of Oak. www.presentationsisterssf.org

December 1, 1854, The Sisters of Presentation of San Francisco open their first school on
Green Street. Between 1930 and 1960, Sisters of Presentation establish and staff nineteen
schools. Sisters of the Presentation continue to minister in all levels of education.

1968, The Second Vatican Council called women religious, including the Sisters of the
Presentation, to renewal and more engagement in the society in which they lived. The
Sisters of the Presentation embraced this call.
You can learn about each Sister’s unique response in Presentation Women, a Legacy of Vision,
Faith and Service
. www.presentationsisterssf.org

1984, Sister Cleta Herold helps co-found the AIDS Support Group at Most Holy Redeemer
parish in San Francisco to offer volunteer services to patients with HIV and AIDS.

November 20, 1999, a corporate stance against the death penalty is accepted by the congregation of the Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco.

In 2001, Sisters of the Presentation begin their Day Laborer Project, serving breakfast
and monthly lunches to the day laborers on Cesar Chavez Street, San Francisco.
ROI- more than one thousand five hundred are served a year.

November 13, 2004, San Francisco, California proclaims The Sisters of the Presentation
Day to honor their service and mark the 150th Anniversary of their arrival.

September 18, 2006, The Project of the Roses/El Proyecto de Las Rosas, is established
in Saint John parish in Tipton, California by Sisters Rita Jovick, Catherine Mary King,
and Patricia Reinhardt to provide adult education to the immigrant and migrant worker
communities in the San Joaquin Valley, one of the most underserved areas of California.
ROI- more than one thousand two-hundred are served a year.

October 2006, Sister Maire Sullivan opens the Lantern Center for Hospitality and
Education/La Linterna to provide English and computer classes, as well as hospitality
for men and women in the immigrant community of San Francisco’s Mission District.
ROI- more than one thousand have been served since its inception.

Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco, a 501(c) 3 nonprofit charitable organization, Tax ID #94-2209052

 

   
Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco
Enhancing lives in countless ways. A continuing presence in times of need since 1854.
281 Masonic Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94118-4416

www.presentationsisterssf.org

Partner with the Sisters of the Presentation of San Francisco.

2009-2013, The Sisters of the Presentation are featured in WOMEN & SPIRIT:
Catholic Sisters in America sponsored by the Leadership Conference of Women
Religious (LCWR). The traveling exhibit had a stop at the Smithsonian Museum in
Washington, D.C. where it was recognized by the United States Congress. It received
numerous accolades and awards along the way, including a proclamation from the
California Assembly.

November 12, 2011, Plaque dedication ceremony honors the presence and role of the
Sisters of the Presentation in the educational history of the city of Berkeley.

January 14, 2012, Holy Trinity Catholic Church in San Pedro dedicated the Fireside
Room of its Parish Center in honor of the Sisters of the Presentation of San Francisco.

January 2013, the Sisters of the Presentation commit to working on Comprehensive
Immigration Reform and Stopping Human Trafficking.

In November 2014, the Sisters of the Presentation will mark their 160th Anniversary
of their arrival in San Francisco, California and serving the needs of the Bay Area. The
Sisters of the Presentation continue to partner with the community to promote the
Gospel’s Justice Issues of Peace and Caring for God’s Earth and to directly help those
made poor locally and globally.

Become a dream broker, a partner for a positive future ensuring the ability to pursue the
vision and the impact of the Sisters of the Presentation by influencing tomorrow today.
 

DAF is on our website! Donor-Advised Funds sponsors have created a Widget
to Simplify Charitable Giving for the Sisters of the Presentation of San Francisco.

To make your gift visit
www.presentationsisterssf.org

Not Words, But Deeds
Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco, a 501(c) 3 nonprofit charitable organization, Tax ID #94-2209052

The Sisters of the Presentation will always be good
and faithful stewards of YOUR crucial financial support.

For information on gift giving contact Helen M.Z. Harwood, CFRE, Director of
Development, Sisters of the Presentation, (415) 422-5015 or hharwood@pbvmsf.org

 

 


 

With the California Gold Rush (1849) came the settlers, with the settlers came the immigrants, and with the immigrants came the Sisters of the Presentation. In 1854, the Sisters of the Presentation arrived in San Francisco, California to minister to the children of miners, immigrants, and the poor.

Four Sisters from Midleton, County Cork, and one Sister from Kilkenny, Ireland in San Francisco, established the first United States foundation in 1854. Within a year, three of the five Sisters returned to Ireland and the remaining two Sisters established the Presentation Convent on Powell Street where they conducted a school for girls. From 1857 to 1869, the sisters also had a school for black and Indian students. In 1869 Sacred Heart Presentation Convent was established at Taylor and Ellis Streets, in San Francisco. This foundation was followed in 1878 by St. Joseph Convent, Berkeley and in 1882 St. Joseph Convent, Sonoma. The four houses were amalgamated in 1888.

The 1906 Earthquake and Fire destroyed the two convents in San Francisco. The Sisters lived in various residences until Presentation Convent located at 281 Masonic Avenue was completed in 1912. They moved from this location to 2340 Turk Boulevard in 1970 when the new Motherhouse was completed. Through the years, the sisters stayed in education and later focused on pastoral ministry and social work.

Our primary mission is to the poor, which we manifest through a variety of ministries as fulfilled by our foundress Nano Nagle. Presentation women are committed to serving the poor in the ministries of education, parish ministry, community organizing, pastoral care in hospitals, nursing, literacy programs, foreign missions, immigration work, spiritual direction, retreat work, Safe House for women wanting to escape prostitution, and housing management for the elderly.

Presentation Sisters currently serve in the Archdioceses of San Francisco and Los Angeles; and the Dioceses of Oakland, Orange, San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Guatemala.

Currently, we are 72 Sisters who live in small group residences, apartments, parish convents, and our Motherhouse, which provides special care for our elderly and infirm sisters.

You can learn more about the amazing Sisters by reading Presentation Women, A Legacy of Vision, Faith, and Service. This Biography Book is available for $45.00 at our shopping cart at http://www.presentationsisterssf.org/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html.  This publication chronicles the lives of every Presentation Sister from 1854 to 2004. Enjoy discovering the personalities and personal stories of the women who became Presentation Sisters of San Francisco.


Mother Teresa Comerford

Sister Mary Teresa Comerford originally was not intended to accompany the pioneer group of Presentation Sisters to San Francisco. As the group of five awaited their departure, one of them became too ill to travel. Sister Mary Teresa was selected to take the sick Sister's place. Sister Rose Forest, PBVM, recounts in her book With Hearts of Oak, a history of the Presentation Sisters' founding in California, the reason for this decision was that she showed "aspirations towards a foreign mission career."

The four Sisters to arrive in San Francisco with Sister Mary Teresa were Sister Mary Joseph Cronin, the originally appointed Superior; Sister Mary Xavier Daly, Assistant to the Superior; Sister Mary Augustine Keane, Bursar; and Sister Mary Clare Duggan. Sister Mary Teresa, while not the founding Mother, became the second Mother Superior for the California group of November 8, 1855. Mother Comerford, as she was then called, spearheaded the early survival and growth of the Sisters of the Presentation. According to Sister Rose's account, Mother Comerford was elected Superior because she was "a lady of captivating personality, refined and highly educated, had an exceptional gift for making friends, and so of gaining the patronage of the cultured elite."

These resourceful attributions helped towards the establishment of schools offering free education to the poor. Sister Rose emphasizes, "early growth and development (of the Sisters of the Presentation in San Francisco) must be largely credited to Mother Mary Teresa."
 


With Hearts of Oak, Sister Rose Forest, PBVM is available for $30.00 at our shopping cart at http://www.presentationsisterssf.org/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html. This publication is great anyone who loves the history of San Francisco and the Sisters of the Presentation.

For more information regarding the Sisters of the Presentation history in California, visit the Archives.

 



The Sisters of the Presentation were featured in the Heart of Berkeley Exhibit

By Rosana Madrigal, Director of Communications, Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco


The Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco were featured in the McGee-Spaulding District: The Heart of Berkeley. This Berkeley Historical Society’s exhibit ran from October 2013 through March 2014, at its site, in the city of Berkeley, Calif. A portion of this exhibit focused on the history of the Sisters of the Presentation, who were an important part of the central Berkeley neighborhood during the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries.  It featured drawings and photos of the historical transformation of the area that includes the land donated by Berkeley pioneer James McGee to the Sisters of the Presentation.

Sister Gloria Loya, PBVM, says, “It was great to see the exhibit with my Saint Joseph High School classmates during an Open House on Sunday, March 9, 2014. I appreciate our Saint Joseph Presentation High School, Berkeley, alumnae working on this historical display.”

Saint Joseph Presentation High School, Berkeley, alumna Therese Pipe, says “As a member of the Berkeley Historical Society, I was helped with this project by two Saint Joseph’s alumnae, Therese Grange and Roxanne Jojola Miravalle.
Moreover, we worked with Dianne Walker of the McGee Study Group who had researched and collected documents and photos from the Sisters of the Presentation Archivist, Chris Doan.”

In November 2011, the Sisters of the Presentation contributions to education in Berkeley were recognized with a plaque. You can see the Berkeley Plaque Dedication story and photos by clicking on Events and then clicking on Past Event Photos.

This photo was taken, during an Open House of the McGee-Spaulding District exhibit at the Berkeley History Center.  Standing next to a doll wearing a Sisters of the Presentation habit (from left to right) are Therese Pipe, Sister Gloria Loya, PBVM, Dolores Hammons McDonough, and Catherine Brady.

Photo by John Aronovici, Manager, Berkeley History Center.

 



Women and Spirit: Catholic Sisters in America Field Trip


On Monday, February 27, 2012, over seventy Sisters of the Presentation, Alumnae, and Friends
rode on two custom coach buses to see the wonderful exhibit of Women and Spirit: Catholic Sisters in America
which featured the Sisters of the Presentation,  at The California Museum, in Sacramento.

While the National Touring Exhibit has ended, the California Story continues:  Women and Spirit California

Click on link to view a short video clip about the California story: http://vimeo.com/38008339

For more details:  www.womenandspirit.org 

and follow on facebook:    www.facebook.com/Women.and.Spirit.Sacramento.Exhibit
 



Sisters of the Presentation honored by Holy Trinity Catholic Church in San Pedro

Holy Trinity Catholic Church in San Pedro dedicated the Fireside Room of its Parish Center in honor of
Sisters of the Presentation (of the Blessed Virgin Mary) on Saturday, January 14, 2012.

At the invitation of Father George Gallagher, Sisters of the Presentation accepted to staff Holy Trinity School.
Property for the convent was purchased at 209 North Hanford Avenue in San Pedro.
Holy Trinity Parish and School greatly benefited from the presence of Sisters of the Presentation.
Several young women from Holy Trinity would eventually become Sisters of the Presentation.
Sisters of the Presentation left Holy Trinity in 1990 and the convent
was replaced with the current Parish Center which was dedicated in 1993. 

With the approval of Msgr. Joseph Brennan, the current Pastor of Holy Trinity,
permission was given to dedicate the Fireside Room in honor of
Sisters of the Presentation so that their legacy
at Holy Trinity will be passed onto future generations.
The Fireside Room contains pictures of the Sisters, artifacts saved from the convent, and
a special wall listing the names of the Sisters of the Presentation who have graced Holy Trinity
with their presence along with a wall dedicated to Nano Nagle.

A reception followed the dedication ceremony in the Parish Center Auditorium. 
 



Berkeley Plaque Dedication

A Dedication Ceremony took place for a plaque to honor the presence and role of
Sisters of the Presentation in the educational history of the city of Berkeley.

It was held on Saturday, November 12, 2011, in the Commons Room of University Terrace
which is the former site of Presentation High School.
It was followed by
a lovely reception.

The plaque was intended to be placed when the University Terrace housing complex
was built in 1993-1994, but it was never installed.

Now it has a place of honor near the stone pillars marking the entrance to the original convent
of Sisters of the Presentation which University Terrace residents have named: the California Street Rose Garden.

The Commons Room of University Terrace features a pictorial history display of the area
which you can also view by logging onto
http://learning.berkeley.edu/ut/history.htm.
 


Home Page Who we are Where We Serve Ministries Alumnae Transcripts
Events Gift Giving Associates Contact Information Prayer Request Shopping Cart